8/23/09

introspective

so feeling rather introspective today
mostly because of a bit of a 'talk', read: tiff i had with my parents this morning
the usual 'have to get your life back on track etc etc.' type talk

now dont get me wrong, i do love my parents
and though we do drive each other NUTSO NUTSOOOO at times
i think i am incredibly lucky to have them

but they, like most other parents i m sure, suffer from this little thing called
'Wanting The Best for You'
i.e
'Wanting What They Think Is Best for You'
i admit, they might have a point with some
like, joining the gym again
but these two issues below we cant ever seem to find a compromise

minor bone of contention
i love my sleep ins.
to my friends and i, its like GOLD.
nothing beats the feeling of not having your peaceful slumber interuppted by an rude alarm, and not having to rush off to do anything, being able to lie in your warm fluffy bed till you want to get up.
and since nothing annoys me more then mom coming into my room in the morning, nagging at me to get up, which she insists on doing as 'sleep ins = lazy attitude to life = failed life'
i get the living crap irritated out of me. especially since i only get 2 sleepins a week at most.

major bone of contention

i do enjoy dentistry
and it is something i can imagine myself doing for a long long time
but when it comes down to it
(and also is what i cant find the words to explain to my parents)
i want more.
its all well and good to be a dental student, but my life is bigger than that
i dont want to attend uni, go home, study, sleep and then repeat the whole cycle again
while i still have my health
i want to try everything and anything, go to every event, have every sort of friend under the sun, have no regrets, never say never
and i dont want to wait till tomorrow, because what if tomorrow never comes?
the biggest agony would be having a life half lived, a boring life, a life with no colour, no drama

i want to spend my life chasing beauty, capturing beauty, spreading beauty and having beauty.
and while dentistry does come into this
i also want the beauty in an exquisitely prepared meal, a finely cut outfit, a delicate heel, a symphony, a brushstroke, a hand gesture, laughter, the sky.
a perfect night out
a well taken photograph
drunken escapades
an open life

thats why i m restless now (also slightly spendthrift but thats a different story)
and i cant be what my parents want me to be
a studious, steady, placid character
i need to find all that i m looking for
sooner rather than later

james dean once said to 'live like you will die tomorrow, and
dream like you will never die'

thats what i want
now, how to make the old fuddy duddies (i say this the nicest way possible) understand?

No comments: